Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Electric vs Manual Toothbrushes?

Patients often ask which kind of toothbrush should they use? This question can be a rather complex issue, but we can break it down to three types of toothbrushes:

1. Rotating Head Toothbrush
2. Sonic Toothbrush
3. Manual Toothbrush

I have tried all three of them, and find that they each have their own strengths. I own an Oral-B, Sonicare, and an oral-b manual toothbrush. I found that the Oral-B was really good for removing plaque in between teeth (I tested this by flossing afterwards to see what the toothbrush missed). I like the sonicare since it cleans the gums really well and is very gentle. The manual toothbrush... varies a lot. All you need is a soft toothbrush and the proper technique.

That brings us to the importance of proper technique. Here's a very good guide from Colgate on the aspects of brushing technique:

http://www.colgate.com/app/CP/US/EN/OC/Information/Articles/Oral-and-Dental-Health-Basics/Oral-Hygiene/Oral-Hygiene-Basics/article/Taking-Care-of-Your-Teeth.cvsp

I would recommend an electric toothbrush for people who have a hard time reaching the backs of the backmost teeth, which is almost everyone.

3 comments:

  1. It's such an interesting post. I really like it. You shared a really good information I appreciate it.i did get lots of good points from here.Teeth come from calcium.don't forget to brush them twice in a day. Thank you and keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you.


    Dental Implants Hartford CT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know about these three types of toothbrush. I too use Oral-b toothbrush that is really best and helps in removing the plaque. It was recommended by my dentist Hermosa Beach when I visited him last time.

    ReplyDelete